Saturday, August 2, 2008

Plastic soup...

that's what's becoming of our oceans! See Junk to experience the ocean voyage into the north Pacific on a raft (below) made of plastic bottles. I never knew so much plastic was ending up in the ocean - I can probably eliminate some of the plastic from my life. I did eliminate the plastic grocery bags - I bought re-usable organic cotton cloth bags, and take them to the grocery every week. It's one small step. I wish my town were recycling more plastic, but they only take #1 and 2 bottles and nothing else in other shapes. I found out recently that the U.S. sells a lot of used plastic, paper and aluminum cans to China. We make more money selling it to them than re-using it ourselves! I'm glad that someone uses it, even though it has to be shipped across the ocean to get used.



Here's a report from the Today show about plastic in the oceans:

No comments: